Thursday, April 3, 2008

Simple Gifts


I have always loved the Shaker hymn, Simple Gifts...

'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed
To turn, turn will be our delight,
'Till by turning, turning we come round right.

To be simple. How hard that is and yet so easy. I just spent a week in Mexico with my family and I will tell you, it was the simple things that were the most memorable. Caleb dug holes in the sand (yes, big enough to get in to) and Amelia loved splashing in the water in picking up broken seashells. The most simple of tasks, yet so enjoyable. Sometimes being out of our element we take the time a little more to see the sights around us and notice the simple things. I learned I loved Mexico! Even the most simple things in Mexico were wonderful and I can't wait to go back. Somehow, the sun setting over an ocean could be easily missed during a busy dinner, but we tried to see as many as we could. Not exactly simple, but extraordinary.

We came home on Monday and the kids still had a week off school. That means, for 5 solid days the kids and I had nothing to do. I will admit, I had a large amount of anxiety about this. Remarkably, tomorrow is Friday and I am sad the week is over. We have had a great week doing nothing, staying in our pjs and enjoying the most simple things. I thought it was because I was on a beach in Mexico that everything seemed so special, but I am reminded this week that even at home, with mess, clutter and chaos, simple things are also beautiful if we only take the time to look. I am writing this refreshed after two weeks of vacation, we'll see how long my optimism lasts :) It is my goal however to be more simple in every sort of way. I think God wants from us that simplicity and humbleness that is truly beautiful.

We did arrive home to some exciting news. Josue's AIDs test came back negative. We still do not have a picture, however a colleague of our adoption specialist will be traveling to DRC on April 21st. He will be at the orphanage and will be able to take some pictures and meet Josue. We are very excited about this! We are finding out that the paperwork and money transfer may take longer than we thought. Please pray with us that the paperwork moves along quickly and our wait is short. It would be great for all of us to be able to spend part of the summer together!

1 comment:

Heart and Hands said...

I love that hymn. I'd never "heard" it before. I completely agree that simplicity is so important and often the first to get lost in my life! Love those pj days! SO happy to hear the results for Josue. Can't wait to see pictures and hear all about him!